Tribal Cultural Resources (AB 52)
Assembly Bill 52 (Chapter 532, Statutes 2014) required an update to Appendix G (Initial Study Checklist) of the CEQA Guidelines to include questions related to impacts to tribal cultural resources. Changes to Appendix G were approved by the Office of Administrative Law on September 27, 2016. OPR subsequently updated our version of Appendix G to include the questions and language that was approved by the Office of Administrative Law.
Information on the rulemaking process and associated documents for amendments to Appendix G required by AB 52 can be found on the Natural Resources Agency’s web-page.
OPR in cooperation with the California Environmental Protection Agency, Native American Heritage Commission and the National Indian Justice Center provided training on AB 52 for lead agencies and Tribal governments.
- Public Comment Letters on Discussion Draft of Proposed changes to Appendix G of the CEQA Guidelines incorporating tribal cultural resources
- Discussion Draft of Proposed Changes to Appendix G of the CEQA Guidelines incorporating tribal cultural resources
- Discussion Draft AB 52 Technical Advisory
- Public comments on discussion draft technical advisory
- Sample AB 52 Notice Letter Template from Lead Agency to CA Native American Tribe
- AB 52 (Gatto, 2014)
- OPR Tribal Consultation Guidelines - Supplement to General Plan Guidelines
- Presentation on Tribal Cultural Resources and CEQA
- Flow Chart of Consultation Notice and Timing