Precision Medicine Projects
CIAPM's portfolio of demonstration projects comprises broad collaborative efforts across institutions and sectors. The activities range from discovery to clinical implementation, aiming to enable more precise, individually targeted prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disease, and to illustrate that precision medicine is making a difference now.
The pursuit of precision medicine is an inherently collaborative effort, requiring access to large data sets and to diverse technologies and expertise. One of the major goals of the California Initiative to Advance Precision Medicine is to foster such collaborations by supporting demonstration projects that leverage the State's expansive and diverse research and clinical expertise and other resources from public and private partners, including high tech capabilities and patient engagement efforts.
In Fall 2015, CIAPM funded two groundbreaking demonstration projects that used state-of-the-art genomic analyses to better diagnose children with cancer and critically ill patients with infectious disease, respectively. Both projects were awarded supplemental funding in 2017.
In 2016, CIAPM launched an additional six demonstration projects that used mobile technology, cutting edge sequencing technology, integration of diverse data, advance image analysis and patient/ physician support tools to advance precision medicine in California. Additionally, two of the projects were awarded from 2017's supplemental RFP.
In 2018, CIAPM announced a third round of funding. The selected projects launched in Summer 2019 and address cancer disparities, specifically in Latinx communities.
- Improving Precision Medicine for Breast Cancer in Latinas: A Multi-Tiered Approach
- Integrated Machine-Learning Platform to Inform Precision Therapy in Underrepresented Triple Negative Breast Cancer Patients
- Reducing Cancer Disparities through Innovative Community-Academic Partnerships
2018 Request for Proposal
- Artificial Intelligence for Imaging of Brain Emergencies
- Early Prediction of Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events Using Remote Monitoring
- Early Prostate Cancer: Predicting Treatment Response
- Full Genome Analysis to Guide Precision Medicine
- Precision Medicine for Multiple Sclerosis: Making it Work
- Personal Mobile and Contextual Precision Health
- Precision Diagnosis of Acute Infectious Diseases
- California Kids Cancer Comparison