Resources for Local Governments
Lamont Public Utilities District - Local Drought Actions
City of Woodlake Ė Local Drought Actions (5/27/15)
City of Montague - Local Drought Actions (06/5/2014)
Cambria Community Services District - Local Drought Actions (09/12/2014)
Springville Public Utilities District - Local Drought Actions (12/4/2014)
Chemeketa Park Mutual Water Company - Local Drought Actions (12/9/14)
Dixieland Elementary School - Local Drought Actions (12/9/14)
Lake Canyon Mutual Water Company - Local Drought Actions (12/9/14)
Los Ranchos de Uvas Water Company - Local Drought Actions (12/9/14)
Plainsburg Elementary School - Local Drought Actions (12/9/14)
Brookstrails Township Community Service District - Local Drought Actions (12/10/2014)
Ali Water Company - Local Drought Actions (12/15/14)
Volta Community Services District - Local Drought Actions (12/15/14)
Alview School - Local Drought Actions (1/12/15)
Madera County Maintenance District #33, Fairmead - Local Drought Actions (1/12/15)
Madera County Public Works - Local Drought Actions (1/12/15)
River Pines Public Utility District - Local Drought Actions (1/26/15)
ToolkitLocal Government Drought Toolkit
These sample templates cite sections of the California Water Code and Government Code, but each agency can also cite to any applicable local ordinances or local codes. Additional language will need to be added to address local conditions, especially to establish facts that support making any necessary findings.Local Government Drought Proclamation Template
Cities Counties Sample Ordinance Adopting Water Conservation Program Template
Municipal Water Districts Drought Emergency Resolution Template
Municipal Water Districts Sample Ordinance Adopting Water Use Restrictions Template
Drought Task Force Follow-up MemosMendocino County
Santa Cruz County
Regional Contacts for Agencies and Departments
- Governorís Office of Emergency Services: Regional Contacts
- California Water Boards: Regional Contacts
- State Water REsources Control Board's Drinking Water: District Offices
- California Department of Food and Agriculture: Regional Contacts
- Department of Water Resources: Field Offices
- Cal Fire: Regional Contacts
- Department of Fish and Wildlife: Regional Contacts
Drought Information and Resources for Local GovernmentsFunding Opportunites
- California Department of Public Health Prop 84 Funding: Prop 84 funding assistance.
- USDA Emergency Funding: USDA financial and technical assistance information
- Small Business Administration Economic Injury Disaster Loans: Federal loans for declared disaster areas.
- Funding Wizard: Searchable database for grants, incentives and rebates for sustainable projects.
State of California Announcements and Initiatives
- Governor Brown Issues Executive Order to Redouble State Drought Actions
- Governorís Proclamation of Drought Emergency:Weekly Drought Update: This weekly summary is produced by the Governor's Drought Task Force.
- Stateís Water Conservation Campaign: Save our Waterís statewide program to help Californians reduce water use.
- Drought Info You Need to Know: Summary of drought news and updates from the Governorís Office of Emergency Services.
- Agricultural Drought information: Drought information for farmers, farmworkers, and ranchers from the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
Drought Data and Information
- SWRCB Division of Drinking Water- Summer 2014 Drought Survey : Self-reporting tool for public water systems to report problems encountered or anticipated resulting from the drought.
- Current Water Conditions: Information on current water conditions in the State from the California Department of Water Resources.
- County CA County Drought Designations: Drought information listed by County from the USDA.
State Department and Federal Drought Websites
- California Department of Food and Agriculture: Resources and assistance for farmers, ranchers and farmworkers.
- California Department of Housing and Community Development: Resources and assistance for individuals, communities, public infrastructure and businesses.
- Office of Emergency Services: For the Weekly Statewide Drought Summary and the latest drought-related reports and releases from various state agencies.
- California State Water Resources Control Board: Information about actions taken by the State Water Board, including actions related to existing water rights.
- Natural Resources Drought Info and Actions: Secretary for Natural Resources Statement on record low snowpack and need for conservation.
- Drinking Water Program Drought Preparedness: Information about the Stateís drinking water program from the State Water Resources Control Board.
- Disaster and Drought Assistance Information: Drought related information from USDA and other federal agencies.
- California State Forest and Rangeland Assessment (CalFire): Includes Information about how to protect and enhance water quality and quantity through forest management.
- California Department of Water Resources: Information about the drought, current water conditions, and links to state and federal assistance programs.
Water Publications and Advisories
- California Water Action Plan: Report on state actions for sustainable water management.
- Water Use Reduction Plans State agencies have implemented water use reduction plans for all state facilities.
- The Ahwahnee Water Principles Guidebook (Local Government Commission): Clearinghouse for information and resources on co-management of land and water resources and on water related federal and state laws that impact local government.
- National Drought Mitigation Center: Information on drought mitigation
- Water Conservation Leadership Guide: Issues for Local Officials to Consider (Institute for Local Government): Water conservation and efficiency resources and policies for agencies and communities.
- CEQA and Low Impact Development Stormwater Design Preserving Stormwater Quality and Stream Integrity through California Environmental Quality Act Review: Information about low impact development stormwater design and CEQA guidance on incorporation of water-quality control measures in project design.
FINANCIAL RESOURCES FOR DRY WATER WELLS
There is a patchwork of programs available to assist homeowners with dry domestic wells. Most have strict eligibility criteria.
United State Department of Agriculture Rural Development Program
USDA Rural Development grants enable local municipalities and NGOs to establish lending programs for household water wells in rural areas and for low- and very low-income households.
USDA Household Water Well Systems
Funding is available for the repair, replacement or servicing of domestic water wells
USDA Housing Preservation Grants, to rehabilitate substandard housing to a safe and decent and sanitary condition. Water wells are eligible. For more information on how your jurisdiction can access the funds, contact your local USDA Rural Development office.
The California Department of Housing and Community Development
Funding is available in two programs that enable water well owners to deepen existing wells or drill new ones.
Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) Housing Rehabilitation Funds
Funds are available to cities and counties. For more information, contact Susan.Naramore@hcd.ca.gov.
Funds are available for local jurisdiction or nonprofits. For more information, contact Raymond.Victor@hcd.ca.gov. For both funding sources local jurisdiction or nonprofits are the intermediaries between the Department and the community members.
If a dry domestic well is within 2 miles of a public water system, they may be eligible for funding to connect to the public water system. If a group of 15 or more homes are within 2 miles of each other, they may be eligible for funding to create their own public water system. Counties and state agencies should work with these well owners to identify the most appropriate solution to their drinking water shortages.