California is experiencing the worst water crisis in our modern history. We are in the third consecutive year of extremely dry conditions. Precipitation and snowpack are a small fraction of their normal averages, reservoirs are at very low levels and rivers have severely diminished flows. We face extreme water scarcity for an uncertain amount of time. This growing crisis made it necessary for Governor Brown to proclaim a state of emergency in January and call on all Californians to reduce their water consumption by 20%. We are taking immediate action to conserve all we can, including holding back water in our reservoirs for use later in the year. We are also taking steps to increase water storage, conservation, recycling, water transfers and other solutions that will increase our water reliability for years to come.
Californians pull together in times of crisis. Local governments and agencies around the state have already taken action by calling for or requiring conservation, declaring emergencies, and identifying and implementing projects to increase resiliency in water management. Most communities have already begun coordinating with their neighbors, the state and federal government.We need your help:
- Conserve at least 20%
- Communicate with the State through your county office of emergency services
- Get the latest drought information
City of Montague - Local Drought Actions (06/5/2014)
ToolkitLocal Government Drought Toolkit
These sample templates cite sections of the California Water Code and Government Code, but each agency can also cite to any applicable local ordinances or local codes. Additional language will need to be added to address local conditions, especially to establish facts that support making any necessary findings.Local Government Drought Proclamation Template
Cities Counties Sample Ordinance Adopting Water Conservation Program Template
Municipal Water Districts Drought Emergency Resolution Template
Municipal Water Districts Sample Ordinance Adopting Water Use Restrictions Template
Regional Contacts for Agencies and Departments
- Governorís Office of Emergency Services: Regional Contacts
- California Water Boards: Regional Contacts
- Department of Public Health: District Offices
- California Department of Food and Agriculture: Regional Contacts
- Department of Water Resources: Field Offices
- Cal Fire: Regional Contacts
- Department of Fish and Wildlife: Regional Contacts
Drought Information and Resources for Local GovernmentsFunding Opportunites
- California Department of Public Health Prop 84 Funding: Prop 84 funding assistance.
- USDA Emergency Funding: USDA financial and technical assistance information
- Small Business Administration Economic Injury Disaster Loans: Federal loans for declared disaster areas.
- Funding Wizard: Searchable database for grants, incentives and rebates for sustainable projects.
State of California Announcements and Initiatives
- Governor Brown Issues Executive Order to Redouble State Drought Actions
- Governorís Proclamation of Drought Emergency:Weekly Drought Update: This weekly summary is produced by the Governor's Drought Task Force.
- Stateís Water Conservation Campaign: Save our Waterís statewide program to help Californians reduce water use.
- Drought Info You Need to Know: Summary of drought news and updates from the Governorís Office of Emergency Services.
- Agricultural Drought information: Drought information for farmers, farmworkers, and ranchers from the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
Drought Data and Information
- Current Water Conditions: Information on current water conditions in the State from the California Department of Water Resources.
- County CA County Drought Designations: Drought information listed by County from the USDA.
State Department and Federal Drought Websites
- California State Water Resources Control Board: Information about actions taken by the State Water Board, including actions related to existing water rights.
- Natural Resources Drought Info and Actions: Secretary for Natural Resources Statement on record low snowpack and need for conservation.
- Drinking Water Program: Information about the Stateís drinking water program from the California Department of Public Health.
- Disaster and Drought Assistance Information: Drought related information from USDA and other federal agencies.
- California State Forest and Rangeland Assessment (CalFire): Includes Information about how to protect and enhance water quality and quantity through forest management.
- California Department of Water Resources: Information about the drought, current water conditions, and links to state and federal assistance programs.
Water Publications and Advisories
- California Water Action Plan: Report on state actions for sustainable water management.
- Water Use Reduction Plans State agencies have implemented water use reduction plans for all state facilities.
- The Ahwahnee Water Principles Guidebook (Local Government Commission): Clearinghouse for information and resources on co-management of land and water resources and on water related federal and state laws that impact local government.
- National Drought Mitigation Center: Information on drought mitigation
- Water Conservation Leadership Guide: Issues for Local Officials to Consider (Institute for Local Government): Water conservation and efficiency resources and policies for agencies and communities.
- CEQA and Low Impact Development Stormwater Design Preserving Stormwater Quality and Stream Integrity through California Environmental Quality Act Review: Information about low impact development stormwater design and CEQA guidance on incorporation of water-quality control measures in project design.