To help communities address wildfire risks, OPR released a Final Draft of the updated Fire Hazard Planning Technical Advisory, along with a new Wildland-Urban Interface (WUI) Planning Guide. These resources provide a framework and examples for local agencies to reference as they plan and implement wildfire solutions.
View an informational webinar Download the webinar slide deck
General Plan Fire Hazard Planning Technical Advisory
In response to Senate Bill 901 (Dodd, 2018) and Assembly Bill 2911 (Friedman, 2018), OPR updated its Fire Hazard Planning Technical Advisory to include “specific land-use strategies that reduce fire risk to buildings, infrastructure, and communities”. The update also helps communities:
- Conduct outreach and engagement activities to promote more robust and collaborative wildfire solutions;
- Conduct comprehensive wildfire hazard and risk assessments;
- Align and integrate these assessments across a variety of plans; and
- Develop general plan policies and programs that reduce risk for existing and future communities.
OPR released a Public Draft of the updated Technical Advisory in November 2020. The Final Draft includes revisions in response to stakeholder feedback, along with other minor edits.
Wildfire Technical Advisory PDF
Wildland-Urban Interface Planning Guide
OPR’s new Wildland-Urban Interface (WUI) Planning Guide highlights how local agencies across California can leverage plans, regulations, and additional tools to reduce risk in wildfire-prone areas. The guide also features nine best practice case studies that offer opportunities for learning and solutions that may be suitable for adoption in other communities. The Guide is a complementary and supplemental resource to the Fire Hazard Planning Technical Advisory
Complete WUI Planning Guide PDF
Individual Best Practice Case Studies
- Butte County: Upper Ridge Community Plan
- City of Carlsbad: Landscape Manual
- City of Malibu: Landscape Water Conservation and Fire Protection Ordinance
- City of Santa Barbara: Wildland Fire Suppression Assessment District
- Mariposa County: Wildfire Plan Alignment
- Napa County: Fire Hazard Abatement Ordinance
- Orange County: Ranch Plan Fire Protection Program
- San Bernardino County: Fire Safety Overlay Zone
- Shasta County: Carr Fire, Zogg Fire, Salt Fire, and Fawn Fire Disaster Recovery Ordinance